What is it about the promise of summer that fills our minds with an irresistible urge to explore? For me, it’s the promise of sunny days and time with family and friends. As the school year comes to an end, our thoughts turn to traveling. With all of this excitement, it’s important to consider the impact our adventures can have on the planet, especially when it comes to air travel.
Here are 5 tips that will take you places when you opt to fly:
1. Plan mindfully: Consider longer stays or combining destinations to reduce the number of flights taken, instead of booking multiple short trips.
2. Fly direct: Going direct can reduce the overall emissions produced during your travel. Non-stop flights eliminate multiple take-off and landing processes, which consume more energy.
3. Pack lighter: Remember that every pound counts. Packing lighter reduces the weight of the aircraft, resulting in lower fuel consumption and emissions. Think minimal and focus on essentials.
4. Offset your carbon emissions: Support carbon offset programs. While these programs are not a silver bullet, they do invest in projects that reduce greenhouse gas emissions, such as reforestation initiatives or renewable energy projects.
5. Choose eco-conscious airlines: Opt for airlines that are actively investing in more fuel-efficient aircraft, implementing recycling programs, or exploring alternative energy sources. Alaskan, American, Delta, JetBlue, and United are all examples of U.S. based airlines that are heading in a greener direction.
By adopting these travel tips, we can lessen our impact and influence others to do the same. Safe and sustainable travels, fellow wanderers!
Were any of these tips helpful to you? Let us know in the comments below or comment on our social media post about the same topic. We’d love to hear from you!